While it’s a little early to be feeling fall in the air, we’re just a few short weeks away from the change in season. There’s no better time to start thinking about changes you can make in your daily routine that will have an impact on both your mind and body. Soon we’ll see changes in temperature, the transition to indoor heating, and cooler, drier weather — all of which has a direct effect on your skin.
The change in season is also an opportunity to pause, reflecting on our overall health. Take a breath before fall arrives to create rituals that can improve how you feel from the inside out. Give yourself the chance to slow down and establish a sense of peace so you can stay healthy and grounded during the long fall and winter months ahead.
6 ways you can make an impact on your mental and physical health:
- Use your nightly skin routine as mini-meditation session. Take time each evening to center yourself, using the time you wash your face and apply skincare products as a reset button before getting ready for bed.
- Curl up with a good book (a real book!). Try turning your phone on silent and spend an hour away from technology. You’ll feel recharged (no pun intended) and more able to concentrate on the things that are most important to you.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Nothing new here. Just because summer is coming to an end, doesn’t mean we can take focus off hydration. It’s important to not only drink plenty of water into the fall months, but to adequately hydrate and moisturize skin. Try using a heavier moisturizer during fall and winter months.
- Get your beauty sleep. If you’re not already getting between seven and nine hours sleep, this is a great time to adjust your sleep schedule. The sun goes down earlier and rises later, giving you more time to sleep in total darkness. Both your mind and body (and your skin!) will thank you for this one.
- Take your breakfast up a notch. Plan ahead so you can have healthy and fulfilling breakfasts all week long (not just on the weekends). This will fuel your mind until lunch time and will also save you from grabbing something less than nutritious, or indulging at the coffee shop. Try overnight oats and spice them up with fruit, nuts, chia seeds or honey. To make overnight oats: soak whole oats in skim, soy or almond milk overnight. Eat them cold or heat them up in the morning, then add any preferred topping. For a fall favorite, try adding pureed pumpkin and cinnamon.
- Massage. Wouldn’t we all like a little more massage in our lives? Aside from the relaxation it brings, massage is also a great stress reliever, can reduce anxiety and can even enhance sleep. Try to schedule a massage on a regular basis for best results—no special occasion necessary. Click here to see massage services offered at The Spa.
While adding a new habit to your routine can be a challenge, it’s worth the effort to make overall wellness a priority in your life. Be in the moment and take time for yourself this fall. Visit us at The Spa ~ Los Gatos to see how our services can impact the health of both your mind and body.